Monument record EWL 013 - Land off Gardeners Walk
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 98752 63639 (155m by 193m)|
|Civil Parish||ELMSWELL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
November 1999: Trenched evaluation revealed ditches containing Roman pottery. It appears that these ditches were part of a medieval open field system (S1).
2001: Excavation of three ditches of Rom date, one of which is likely to represent part of an enclosure. Finds were sparse but well distributed and mainly date from the first to the mid third centuries with a few prehistoric sherds and flints present as residual finds. A significant depth of subsoil had accumulated since the Rom period despite the flat local topography. Med finds were restricted to three metal objects recovered from the subsoil spoil heap duirng metal detecting and two pottery sherds, also from the subsoil. There were no indications of the medieval field system suggested by documentary sources (S2).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF54167 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 1999. Land off Gardeners Walk, Elmswell: Evaluation Report.
- <S2> SSF50028 Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. SCCAS, Everett L, No 2001/106, 2001.
- <M2> SSF50054 Map: SAU, John Newman, 1999.
- FSF25891: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF28311: PURSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF28312: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF28313: COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF28314: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF28315: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF35490: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF35491: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF35492: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2014 11:15AM