Find Spot record DUN 001 - Dunwich Cliffs, Dunwich (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 478 704 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1956: Ovate biface hand-axe, five and a half inches by four inches, late Acheulean, possibly Levallois, found on surface of cliff talus, probably from chalky Jurassic till (S2).
Fairly fresh condition, white patina, basket pattern on one face. Frost shattered. Sub cordate or sub-triangular, fine, flat wood technique flaking, straight edges, no twist. No cortex. Found in 1956 (S3).
An ovate hand-axe is recorded from the talus of the cliff here (Smedley and Aberg, 1958), found by Miss H. Ireland. (S4)
The description as ovate by Wymer is accepted (S6).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM47SE20, 1978.
- <S2> SSF55968 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and F. A. Aberg. 1957. Archaeology in Suffolk 1957.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Dunwich Pal, 1957.
- <S4> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. p181.
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22778.
- <S6> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Dunwich Cliffs, Dunwich (ESF27025)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
Record last edited
Nov 19 2019 10:06AM