Monument record DUN 005 - Chapel of St James Hospital
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4749 7058 (20m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Leper chapel, chapel of St James' hospital, fine Norman arcading, in churchyard of St James' church. Founded shortly before 1200, probably by Walter de Riboff, with a master and several leprous brothers and sisters. A measured drawing of the chapel was published by architect William Wilkins in 1796 (R1) and an etching of the interior was made by Henry Davy in 1824 (see S3). For brief summary of history, illustration of seal of the hospital and holdings etc see (S3, copy in parish file).
A Norman chapel, consisting of an apsidal presbytery, chapel (ie the Chapel proper), footing of cross-wall and beginning of the nave (ie the Hall of the Hospital ?). The double-chamfered external string-course stops short on the N side, suggesting that there was an aisle, or other abutting building. Walls of coursed rubble-septaria and flint. Detail good and generally well preserved. Similar string on interior; much on blind arcade (12 arches) with cushion-caps remaining in apse, and traces in chancel. N window of chancel fairly complete, N window of apse complete. Walls generally remain up to heads of windows. Large modern burial vault in middle (S1).
1981: Chapel in good condition, fenced by stout iron railings so vandal free (S1).
1999: Report on vault and proposal to remove it (S2). Vault now removed.
Oct 1999: report by Hugh Feilden in parish file (S5).
July 2002: vault photographed prior to infill (in site archives).
2008: Prior to building consolidation a photographic record of the building was undertaken supplemented by digitised elevations (S4).
- <M1> SSF37157 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <R1> SSF50234 Article in serial: Archaeologia. Wilkins W, 1796.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SAU (RDC), site visit report.
- <S3> SSF50186 Article in serial: East Anglian Daily Times. Blatchley J, 'Chapel with a leprous history', EADT Sat Nov 15, 2008, 22, ill.
- <S4> SSF50397 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2008. St. James Leper Hospital Chapel, Dunwich, Building Recording Report.
- <S5> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Feilden H (Feilden & Mawson), Oct 1999.
- FSF33643: SEAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13729)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13406)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (SEW) (Ref: SAU (SEW)) (ESF12208)
- Event - Survey: St. James Leper Hospital Chapel, Dunwich (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-45624) (ESF20089)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2013 4:35PM