Monument record DUN 006 - Hospital of Holy Trinity ; Maison Dieu Hospital
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4788 7072 (81m by 121m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of Maison Dieu hospital. Hospital of Holy Trinity, scheduled 2 July 1970.
Site under grass and shingle. Earthworks mentioned in AM7 even less distinguishable due to flattening of area by cars. Bank noted on W still in evidence, that to E seems to have disappeared (S1)
July 1988: TM 4792 7068 - `Following the total destruction by fire of the old Tea Rooms a new building was started. Foundation trenches were excavated by machine on 26 July and observed by Keith Wade. Natural yellow sand was encountered at 80-90 cms below ground surface throughout. Remains of 2nd World War pillbox lie at W end. At mid point of N foundation trench a rounded flint beach pebble, sandstone block and mortar wall, 0.8m wide, was cut through. The wall was running N-S but was not seen in the S foundation trench'.
To the W of the wall a mortar layer was observed running for about 4m at a depth of 60-90 cm.
A local fisherman also claimed human skeletons found just E of Tea Rooms closely buried E to W in shallow graves. Seems likely the Med hospital lay at the S end of scheduled area partly under Tea Rooms. Plan and section in parish file (S2).
March 1996: monitoring of surface grading and new drainage system for car park - suggested redeposition of Medieval building demolition material - details in (S3).
2011: for part examination by Time Team (Wessex Archaeology) see DUN 105.
- <M1> SSF37158 (No record type): SAM file :.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF18186 (No record type): SAU (Wade K), excavation summary, plan and section, July 1988.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2)(S3).
- <S3> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Abbott C, SCCAS Report 96/7, March 1996.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Intervention: Abbott C (SCCAS), monitoring of drainage trench 1996 (SCCAS Rep 96/7) (ESF19747)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (KW) (Ref: SAU (KW)) (ESF14961)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13407)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (SEW) (Ref: SAU (SEW)) (ESF12209)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2012 12:01PM