Monument record BSE 173 - No Mans Meadow

Please read our .

Summary

'No Mans Meadow' behind Raingate Street, substantial bank visible.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 86329 63579 (98m by 143m)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

"No Mans Meadow behind Raingate Street, although well protected by the River Lark, were further fortified by the raising of a bank, which joined perhaps the Haberden earthwork" (see BSE 061(S1).
November 1999: Substantial bank visible in tall undergrowth in private meadow, roughly between Rugby Clubhouse to SW, running S of pylon and ending at River Lark, just N of pillbox (S2). Possibly partially line of drain marked on OS maps.
Needs checking in more detail on ground.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Newspaper Article. Bury Post, 12 October 1928, ERB, Random Roamings: Last Relic of the Borough walls, 3.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1 - copy?)(S2).
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SCCAS, Pendleton C, November 1999.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 19 2002 4:59AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.