Monument record RBK 016 - Rushbrooke Park

Please read our .

Summary

Park around Rushbrooke Hall, in existence by 1703.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 89012 61211 (1371m by 1227m)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish RUSHBROOKE WITH ROUGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Park around Rushbrooke Hall, in existence by 1703, when it was purchased by Sir Robert Davers from Lord Jermyn. The park was extended in the 18th century (see RBK 017) and a number of vistas were established, centred on the Hall. One, in existence by 1737, focused on Bradfield St George church to the south-west; a mirror-image vista to the south-west was in existence by 1840; a north-west vista existed by 1783; and a north vista existed by 1840 (S1)(S2)(S3).
Only the area around the Hall remains as grassland, the remainder has been converted to arable.
See also Extensions to Park (RBK 017), Rushbrooke Hall (RBK 001) and Canal (RBK 018).
See also (R1).

Sources/Archives (7)

  • --- (No record type):
  • --- Source Checked: Parks File.
  • <R1> Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
  • <S1> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Taigel A, Report on Rushbrooke Park for SCC Countryside Section, 1993.
  • <M1> Source Checked: Parks File. (S1).
  • <S2> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <S3> Map: 1839. Rushbrooke Tithe Map.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 6 2016 11:12AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.