Monument record SBT 006 - South Grange; Repton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 367 683 (303m by 314m)|
|Civil Parish||SIBTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Settlement, whole field covered with extensive pattern of ponds, hollows and lumps, possible hamlet. South grange house partly moated. (S1) Earthworks of Rapton deserted village ? Situated in permanent pasture. The AP shows that the surface of the field has been harrowed, but the site itself on the ground shows no sign of having been ploughed. Rapton (Wrabetuna in Domesday Book) was granted to Sibton Abbey (Cistercian) in the C12 and may have been deliberately deserted at that time. There are no later documentary records of the village. Parr in PSIA suggests a location in this area, but was unaware of this site (S3)
1997: Brief visit to field as part of the East Suffolk Archaeological Monuments Survey with Levett-Scrivener. Permanent pasture used for cattle grazing. Slight area of poaching to SW. Did not visit part of moat. Many ponds/hollows linked by channels (owner suggested hemp retting area). Did not look like house platforms. Possible area of activity (agricultural or industrial) associated with South Grange (S4).
1997: For earthworks survey plot see (S5). Recommended for scheduling?
21/1/1999: Scheduled. For details, see (S6).
- <S1> SSF20929 (No record type): SAU, West S E, undated.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ARD 18, 20.
- <R1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs ARD 18, 20.
- <S2> SSF22778 (No record type): Warner P M, undated.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S5).
- <S3> SSF15525 (No record type): Parr R T L, `Two townships in Blything Hundred', PSIA XXV pt 3, 1951, 301- 303.
- <M3> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. SAM file: (S6).
- <S4> SSF21935 (No record type): Sussams K, site visit, June 1997.
- <S5> SSF5713 (No record type): English Heritage (Bamford H), November 1997.
- <S6> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. English Heritage Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 4 2022 12:07AM