Monument record THB 004 - Barrow, or C18 landscaping feature ? Circa 15 feet high, 25 feet in diameter, beside road in corner of wood.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4475 6462 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||THEBERTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Barrow, or C18 landscaping feature ? Circa 15 feet high, 25 feet in diameter, beside road in corner of wood (S1).
Possible C18 folly, covered in trees, mound height 5.32m , diameter 23m (S2).
Note: on 1880s OS map within landscape park S of Theberton House which appears to be named "Mount Ho[use]" on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S3), possibly suggesting an earlier date.
- <S1> SSF21204 (No record type): Sherlock D, December 1976.
- <M1> SSF38384 (No record type): Barrow survey: archive.
- <S2> SSF19412 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, barrow survey, 28 January 1977.
- <M2> SSF38385 (No record type): Photograph: AFD 9.
- <S3> SSF50065 Map: J Hodskinson. 1783. The County of Suffolk Surveyed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2016 9:40AM