Monument record FSG 016 - Fornham Park

Please read our .

Summary

Park associated with Fornham Hall (FSG 003).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 83991 68464 (1667m by 1514m)
Map sheet TL86NW
Civil Parish FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Park associated with Fornham Hall (FSG 003). For deserted village see FSG 004, for park bank see FSG 005 and for icehouse see FSG 006. Little is known about the landscape of Fornham Hall until the latter part of the C18. Earliest known map of this site starts from 1769. The park was located just opposite the Hall and was known as the 'Priory Pasture'. By 1769, all of the village houses had disappeared and the church lay in ruins. Details in (S1).
A desk based assessment on the park was carried out in advance of proposed works in Fornham Park. It revealed archaeological potential has been seriously lessened by a series of recent quarries around the estate. But, where this isn't present, a possible DMV, 'Capability' Brown landscape, a possible A/S cemetery and structural remains of St Genevieve Church all possibly exist within the survey area. S2

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Williamson Dr T, A Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk, 1993.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Desk based assesment, Everett, L. SCCAS. Sept 00. 2000/67.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 6 2014 3:06PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.