Monument record LUD 033 - Lound Water Treatment Works
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TG 49953 00837 (108m by 114m)|
|Civil Parish||LOUND, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2003: A desk-based assessment and a programme of trial trenching was carried out to evaluate an area of land at Lound Water Treatment Plant, prior to expansion of the existing treatment facilities. The desk-based assessment showed that the development site had remained unoccupied from at least the middle of the 19th century (S-S3).
Trial trenching (220m sq) revealed just a single ditch (most likely natural in origin) and a pit in SW corner of site in Trench 1. The latter contained a significant quantity of burnt flint, suggesting some enigmatic prehistoric occupation across the site (S4).
- --- SSF56862 Map: 1840. Lound Tithe Map.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S4).
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1st edition, 1884.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 2nd edition, 1906.
- <S4> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. SCCAS, Gardner R, No 2003/63, 2003.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 3 2020 3:48PM