Monument record LCS 032 - Trackways and ditches of potential Roman date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47133 65101 (470m by 486m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Various cropmarks including trackways and ?enclosures, especially in west corner of field, visible on APs (area includes oval enclosure and two possible ring ditches - see LCS 033) of unknown date (S1)(R1/(R2).
See also Rom, Med & Preh.
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a trackway and fragmentary ditches of unknown, but potential Roman date, are visible on aerial photographs (S3-S5). Some of the cropmarks previously recorded at this site (Figure 8; S5) have not been mapped, as some would appear to relate to drains and agricultural features, however it is possible that some of these features mapped were identified on aerial photographs that are no longer available for loan from the EHA; in particular those dating to July 1940 referred to it (S6). Significant amounts of Roman date material have been found in the vicinity (LCS 032/MSF21534) so it seems likely that some of it is Roman in date.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 02nd January 2015.
- <R1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. Richmond A, Sizewell C, PWR Power Station, Figure 8 * Figure 4, 1994.
- <R2> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. RCHME.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/6492 F41 0060-0061 27-AUG-1964 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/73332 V 075-076 23-JUN-1973 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF51463 Unpublished document: Richmond, A.. 1995. Eval report. Sizewell C - Appendices, Leiston. Fig. 8.
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. CUCAP RC8FI 078-079 07-JUN-1983 (Print).
- <S6> SSF54456 Unpublished document: Richmond, A.. 1994. Evaluation Report, Sizewell C. p21.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation (Ref: ) (ESF18402)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM46NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (ESF23167)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2015 3:33PM