Monument record BRK 015 - Barking Hall (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 07622 53492 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BARKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Site of Barking Hall. Occupied by Francis Theobald (Knight) in 1680. Seat of Earls of Ashburnham from circa 1756.
Divided into tenements and occupied by poor (circa 1836). Demolished (after fire?) 1926.
Described as 'Early C18 house of 7 bays with tower and later C18 wings. Long verandah on entrance front. Demolished 1926, but C18 stables remain (S3). Walled garden also survives. Described as 'a large red brick mansion', 'now unoccupied' and photographed in (S4).
Also Un & Rom.
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <S1> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. E Suffolk: A-H, 1990.
- <R1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Pedigree of Theobald of Barking Hall, E Anglian Notes & Queries, new series 4, 158.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1:2500, 1880s.
- <S3> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, 3: East Anglia, 1981, 214-5.
- <S4> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 23, ill.
- <S5> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2010 4:46PM