Monument record CAC 001 - Iron Age ditch at Carlton Park Phase 2B (Hollow Lane)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 51305 90503 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
2001: Prehistoric features of possible Bronze Age or Iron Age date were identified during evaluation trenching for the Carlton Colville bypass. One pit contained bone, a number of pieces of fired clay and daub (S2).
Ditch and recut recognised NW to SE running, probably extension to that recognised during bypass excavations of 2002. Fill contained pottery of possible EIA date. Ditch is thought to define SW edge of IA/RB enclosure. At the extreme NE corner of the development a feature associated with site CAC 001 was recognised. Previous excavation in 2003, in advance of new bypass, had recognised a series of enclosure ditches defining a multi-period site dating from the Neo to Sax periods (CAC 001 and 026). A ditch found during the current evaluation is probably part of the western boundary of this enclosure (S1-S3).
- <S1> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SCCAS, Newman J, No 98/63.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1-S3).
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SCCAS, Meredith J, No 2001/61.
- <S2> SSF56161 Unpublished document: Meredith J,. 2001. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Carlton Colville Bypass (Phase 2).
- <S3> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. SCCAS, Meredith J, No 2003/175.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2016 10:00AM