Monument record BRK 104 - Gallows Hill, undated (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1057 5358 (606m by 918m)|
|Civil Parish||BARKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
1990: DBA, fieldwalking, metal detecting and geophysical surveys - see (S5).
1990-2002: Finds & features identified in desktop, aerial, fieldwalking, metal detecting and geophysical surveys of 27.6ha area (S1-S3). Includes site BRK 004 (part), 005 * 016.
2002: Trenched evaluation by SCCAS - see Preh, Rom, Sax & PMed.
2013: Excavation revealed Prehistoric to Post medieval features. However, the majority of features on this site contained no dating evidence, this includes two post hole structures and the metal working hearth. Whilst many were likely contemporary with the Sunken Fature Buildings, they are presently categorised as undated (S6).
- <S1> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Hedges J W, Symonds J & Wait G A (Tempvs Reparatum) Consultancy Report, Aug 1990, ill.
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Palmer R (Air Photo Services), AP Assessment 2002/3, March 22002, ill.
- <S3> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Richmond A (Phoenix Consulting Archaeology Ltd), Scheme of Investigation for trench evaluation, 200.
- <S4> SSF51124 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2002. A Record of an Archaeological Evaluation of Land at Gallows Hill, Barking, Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF54778 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1990. An Archaeological Assessment of land at Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Barking.
- <S5> SSF57672 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1989. Archaeological Consultancy Report- Part of Gripping Valley, Barking, Mid-Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF57673 Unpublished document: Roseff, R.. 1992. Landscape History of Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF57674 Unpublished document: Hedghes, J. W.. 1992. Proof of Evidence regarding the Archaeological Resource of Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF58051 Unpublished document: Adams, M. and Barlow, G.. 2013. An Archaeological Excavation Interim Report, Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk (Phase 3).
- FSF30375: POTTERY (19th century to Late 20th century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- FSF30376: BRICK (19th century to Late 20th century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- FSF30377: TILE (19th century to Late 20th century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- FSF30378: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36241: FLAKE (Undated)
- FSF36242: THIMBLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36254: HORSESHOE (Undated)
- FSF36255: HANDLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD?)
- FSF36256: TACK (Undated)
- FSF36257: BUCKLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36258: WEIGHT (Undated)
- FSF36259: RING (Roman to Late Saxon - 43 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF36260: (Undated)
- FSF36261: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Land at Gallows Hill, Barking. (Ref: ) (ESF19244)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 3) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-198543) (ESF25907)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 4) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-355464) (ESF26743)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking, metal detecting, geophysical and AP surveys - Gallows Hill, Barking 1990 (ESF21721)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2017 12:52PM