Monument record BRK 104 - Gallows Hill, Barking, (Prehistoric).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1057 5358 (606m by 914m)|
|Civil Parish||BARKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
1990: DBA, fieldwalking, metal detecting and geophysical surveys - see (S3).
2002: Evaluation. The earliest prehistoric activity was represented by stratified and unstratified Mesolithic worked flint. Three concentrations of Neolithic flint, and three features were recorded, the latter containing Ebbsfleet-Mortlake pottery suggesting a Late Neolithic date. The ring ditch (BRK 005) was positively identified as being of Bronze Age date, while no conclusive dating evidence was recovered for the complex BRK 016.
2013: Excavation recorded Prehistoric to Post medieval features. The Early Bronze Age was represented by a small number of pits in the extreme southern corner of the site. Two of these pits contained Early Bronze Age pottery. Two more, although conatining no finds, have been tentatively assigned this date due to their similarity of form and proximity. The Iron Age was represented by a single Pit which contained a sherd of Iron Age pottery (S4).
Also see Undated, Roman, Saxon & Medieval records for further details relating to these periods.
Whilst the flintwork was identified as Mesolithic or Neolithic at evalution stage, the character of the entire assemblage and the nature of specific types in (S4) suggests an Early Neolithic age for the earliest flintwork, (S6). It was also not mentioned in (S5).
- <S1> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Hedges J W, Symonds J & Wait G A (Tempvs Reparatum) Consultancy Report, Aug 1990, ill.
- <S2> SSF51124 Unpublished document: Boulter, S.. 2002. A Record of an Archaeological Evaluation of Land at Gallows Hill, Barking, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF54778 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1990. An Archaeological Assessment of land at Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Barking.
- <S3> SSF57672 Unpublished document: Symonds, J.. 1989. Archaeological Consultancy Report- Part of Gripping Valley, Barking, Mid-Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF57673 Unpublished document: Roseff, R.. 1992. Landscape History of Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF57674 Unpublished document: Hedghes, J. W.. 1992. Proof of Evidence regarding the Archaeological Resource of Gallows Hill South, Gipping Valley, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF58051 Unpublished document: Adams, M. and Barlow, G.. 2013. An Archaeological Excavation Interim Report, Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley, Suffolk (Phase 3).
- <S5> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. Negative Reference.
- <S6> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Land at Gallows Hill, Barking. (Ref: ) (ESF19244)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 3) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-198543) (ESF25907)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Gallows Hill, Gipping Valley (Phase 4) (Ref: OASIS-archaeol7-355464) (ESF26743)
- Event - Survey: Fieldwalking, metal detecting, geophysical and AP surveys - Gallows Hill, Barking 1990 (ESF21721)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2020 4:17PM