Monument record LKH 014 - Sahara Field; Lakenheath Airfield
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 733 831 (512m by 850m)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Extensive pottery scatter over approximately half a mile within an area of multi-period site, LKH 070. A concentration of Beaker pottery within this scatter is separately treated as site LKH 013.
Three main scatters mapped by Briscoe (S1), centred on:
1. TL 7330 8290
2. TL 7335 8310
3. Tl 7312 8339
An area within the first scatter was excavated by A Graham C Gordon and A S R Gell in 1934-1935 and 1937, at approximately TL 7342 8290 (S1). 13 pits were excavated, producing pottery sherds, flint flakes, animal bones and fire- fractured red pebbles, also three broken quern stones (material not specified)(S2). Pottery includes LIA `S' profile forms and forms with upright rims and high weak shoulders. Also some pedestalled bases in flint- gritted, burnished fabrics. Some finger-nail cabling on top of rims in the West Harling tradition.
Number of excavations also carried out by G Briscoe 1934-1939 in the area of the other two scatters (see maps in (S1) for the location of her trenches). Revealed a number of black patches representing hearths, occupation floors or pits. Contained pottery (including large vessels of sub-biconical form, some rims with finger-nail cabling, as well as LIA forms), bone and antler artefacts (weaving comb, needle weaving tablet, spindle whorl), clay spindle whorl, blue glass bead with white zig-zag ornamentation (S1). For the Beaker pottery found in and around the IA features, see LKH 013.
- <S1> SSF1468 (No record type): Briscoe G, Combined Beaker & Iron Age Sites at Lakenheath, PCAS, 42, 1949, 92-111.
- <R1> SSF3646 (No record type): Clarke R R, Archaeol, 95, 1939, 35, 97 (ill fig 7, plate 7).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map (stolen Autumn 1981), map (1988), copy (S2)(S3).
- <S2> SSF6791 (No record type): Gell A S R, An Early Iron Age Site at Lakenheath, PCAS, 42, 1949, 112- 116.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW5.
- FSF11112: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF11113: COMB (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF11114: (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF11115: SPINDLE WHORL (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF11116: SPINDLE WHORL (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF11117: NEEDLE (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF11118: BEAD (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2020 9:36AM