Monument record WLB 065 - Westwood Marshes
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4712 7337 (530m by 330m)|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Common division gullies shown by cropmarks/earthworks visible on aerial photographs over circa 500 by 300m area, extending up to common boundary on eastern side. Part shown on OS 1st and 2nd ed maps (S2, S3). Possible further, less clear, examples further to east.
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
These possible common division gullies are visible on aerial photographs surviving as earthworks as recently as 2013 (S4-S6). They have not been mapped since they are depicted on Ordnance Survey 1st edition mapping. Former doles, presumably from peat cutting, are also visible across a large proportion of the Westwood Marshes, and these may be the examples to the east referred to above. They have been recorded separately as SHER WLB 092.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 22nd January 2015.
- <S1> SSF50113 Photograph: OS. Air Photograph - OS. 73/321/132, 1973.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1900s.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/73321 V 132-133 16-JUN-1973 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Area 24 JUN-1999 (Digital).
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Next Perspectives PGA Imagery TM 4773 03-MAY-2013 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 26 2015 2:10PM