Monument record BTM 070 - Barton Hill Pit, Barton Mills, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 71 72 (370m by 393m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BARTON MILLS, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pit described as "southward of the two tumuli" Various handaxes in various museums, (S1-S4).
Formerly recorded as BTM MISC
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SW50, 1978.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 95.
- <S3> SSF17674 Bibliographic reference: Roe, Derek.. 1968. A Gazetteer of British Lower & Middle Palaeolithic sites. Roe D A, Gaz of Palaeolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA, RR 8, 1968, 262.
- <S4> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22522.
- FSF18061: POINTED HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50013: SUB CORDATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50014: CORDATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50015: OVATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50016: SIDE SCRAPER (Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2020 4:29PM