Monument record KND 001 - Church of St Peter, Buxlow; Knodishall Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4137 6310 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||KNODISHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Possibly one of the churches in Knodishalll recorded under the Domesday entry for Saxmundham - see SXM Misc.
Church of St Peter.
1622: Last presentation.
1650: Buxlow church decayed and ruinated tyme out of mind (S5). 1721: Parish abolished ecclesiastically to create Knodishall with Buxlow. Of the former parish church of Buxlow no more survives than two chunks of walling of the tower, standing about 15 feet up (S1)(S4). Isolated. Unploughed pasture nearby (see KND 006).
1991: Part of house (mid C19) garden. Land all round now ploughedarable.Re- used dressed stone, Med coarseware sherds and ?human bone fragments identifiable in garden area (S3).
Existence of site file noted on HER card, missing July 1986.
2010: Vegetation had been cleared from the ruins and revealed a window in a curving wall, re-interpreted by Simon Knott as a curved apse of a Norman chancel rather than part of the tower (S6).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Suffolk second edition, 1974, 319.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <M2> SSF42973 (No record type): Photographs: Slides CQO 39-42.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM46SW1, 1970, (ill).
- <S3> SSF19951 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, KND 001, November 1991, plan.
- <S4> SSF20730 (No record type): SAU, slides CQO 39-42, January 1992.
- <S5> SSF7001 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk I-Y, 1990.
- <S6> SSF59191 Web Page: Simon Knott. Simon's Suffolk Churches. Simons' Suffolk Churches - Buxlow.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 FDC 06-MAR-70.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 29 2021 2:40PM