Farmstead record IKL 158 - Farmstead: (Lodge Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 80054 74635 (99m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- FARM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HUNTING LODGE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOLLOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Site of Lodge Farm as shown on 1880s OS map (S1). Marked as "Barn" on OS 1st ed map of 1836.
Nothing now visible - in area of nettles within mature coniferous plantation.
Derivation of name unknown - possibly used as gamekeepers lodge or, although no obvious evidence of a rabbit warren in Icklingham (sources not checked though) known, could possibly be the site of a Warrener's Lodge (not shown on Hodskinson 1783 map).
Check Prigg's 'Icklingham Papers' in Suffolk Record Office (Bury).
(Lodge Farm), Icklingham. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The site has been totally demolished. Located within an isolated position. Not present on the 1839 tithe map (S2-7).
August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Earthwork banks, mounds and hollows, possibly relating to a former post medieval farm, can be seen on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S8-S10). The farm is mapped on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map as “Lodge Farm” (S11) and the earthworks may relate to the foundations of the farm and its buildings. A possible area of building material can be seen on the recent (2018) aerial photographs (S10) (centred at TL 8005 7464) which may relate to the former farm. It has previously been suggested that there are no remains of the farm visible (see above); however earthworks can be seen on the visualised lidar data which most likely still survive presently (2019) given the recent date (2015) of the survey.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 9th August 2019.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1" & 25" maps, 1836 & 1880s.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59240 Map: 1839. Icklingham All Saints Tithe Map.
- <S8> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1589 RV 6109-6110 21-JUN-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S9> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S10> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 03-JUL-2018 ACCESSED 18-SEP-2013 (Digital).
- <S11> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 4:20PM