Monument record LCS 004 - Findspot of 2 Bronze-Age cinerary urns.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 446 629 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Found when digging trench for a gas main in Carr Road, near the Gas works, Leiston. Two cinerary urns both with horse-shoe applied handles, the larger inverted over the smaller which contained some material resembling ash, (this was unfortunately tipped out by the finders). Date Middle to Late Bronze Age. Found in July 1957 by Messrs E M Bailey, J Clark and P Gedden and presented (to Ipswich Museum) by C R Fowler, Manager, Eastern Gas board, Leiston branch (S1).
For more detailed description see (S2).
Basil Brown archive includes report of 19/7/1957 from Chronicle & Mercury and EADT photograph of urns, dated 16/7/1957 (S4).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 957 - 82, 1957.
- <S2> SSF16494 (No record type): Pottery of the Early & Early MBA in Suffolk, PSIA, 29, 1962, (2), 194- 195 (ill).
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM46SW7, 1977.
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, LXIV, 28.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 29 1962 194-5 Illus Photo (N Smedley & E Owles).
- FSF14053: URN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 29 2021 2:50PM