Monument record CAC 035 - Household Waste Centre, Hadenham Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5275 8944 (104m by 105m)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||GISLEHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- PIT (Early Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 2350 BC to 401 BC)
- POST HOLE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- HEARTH (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- CREMATION (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
- QUARRY (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 1000 BC to 401 BC)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
Evaluation (Nov 2005) and excavation Feb-March 2006) revealed Late Bronze Age or Early Iron Age circular enclosure (of circa 35m diameter with entrance to west) with internal round house and features. Also Early Bronze Age (?) pit, with unique jet plaque and parts of small collared urn, outside enclosure and series of extraction pits (also of LBA/EIA date?). Summaries in SCCAS website (Oct 2006) & (S1, S2, S3).
2006: An excavation was carried out following a trial-trench evaluation. The drift geology of the site is Lowestoft Till overlying glaciofluvial sand. There was no evidence to indicate that the site was occupied in the Neolithic period and the only find that is potentially of that date is a single sherd of Beaker pottery (Later Neolithic / Earlier Bronze Age) from a small pit or posthole. Earlier Bronze Age activity is represented by a pit that contains an important finds assemblage (including part of a collared urn, a flint knife, and a jet ornament of national significance) but which is not sufficient to indicate permanent occupation of the site. An increase in pit digging in the Middle Bronze Age suggests that the site was used more intensively at that time, although no buildings or structures of that date have been identified. The site was certainly occupied by the Later Bronze Age / Earlier Iron Age, as indicated by a roundhouse inside a ditched enclosure, two linear ditches, one or more external hearths and widespread pits. The site seems to have been abandoned by the Later Iron Age and was not obviously used during the Roman period, although a large quarry pit might have been dug at that time. The site was re-occupied in the Early Anglo-Saxon period, although the evidence for this is confined to a localised area within the (partially backfilled) quarry pit mentioned above. There is no evidence to indicate medieval occupation, and in the post-medieval period it is likely that the site was in agricultural use and was exploited for clay extraction for the brick-making industry (S4).
Note: Site given Carlton Colville parish code but actually in Gisleham parish.
- <S1> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 'Archaeology in Suffolk 2005', PSIAH 41, 2006, 246.
- <S2> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 'Archaeology in Suffolk 2006', PSIAH 41, 2007, 372-4, ill.
- <S3> SSF52288 Unpublished document: Mclannahan, C.. 2005. Eval report. Household Waste & Recycling Centre., Carlton Colville.
- <S4> SSF53772 Unpublished document: Heard, K.. 2010. Post Excavation Assessment Report, Household Waste and Recycling Centre, Gisleham.
- FSF33615: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 2350 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF33616: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 2350 BC to 401 BC)
- FSF33617: PLAQUE (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF33618: JEWELLERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF33619: KNIFE (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF34049: POTTERY COLLARED URN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2015 1:39PM