Monument record STN 085 - Post medieval plantation boundary, High Lodge, compartment 4033 (b)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8085 8525 (83m by 64m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Curving bank (circa 7m wide & 0.5m high) and outer ditch (circa 3m wide & 0.5 m deep). Probably marking edge of oval plantation shown on Cadogan Estate map of 1791 (S1) and still partly shown on OS maps of early 1900s (though OS map this rather too far south to match these earthworks!).
W & S lines survive as earthworks, rest gone due to later landscape changes etc.
There is also a slighter ditch running N-W off the maion ditch at TL 8079 8524 approx (also on 1880s OS map?) and a possible slight bank to the N aligned E-W along S boundary of trackway at TL 8082 8528 (probably related to trackway creation).
Plotting on HER map approximation only.
November 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The post medieval curvilinear plantation boundary described above has been mapped and recorded as part of a larger group of post medieval boundaries SHER STN 156; see that record for details.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 3rd November 2017.
- <S1> SSF50262 Cartographic materials: Map. Cadogan estate map, 1791.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 11 2018 11:18AM