Poorly Located Monument record BCC 115 - Pismere or Piswell Castle (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 43 89 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BECCLES, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pismere Castle, recorded in dissolution and manorial documents (S1).
Castle Farm (Listed Building, farmhouse and folly of circa 1800) shown on 1880s OS map at TM 4312 8940 on Castle Lane (now Coney Hill).
Pesmere Mere on estate map of 1630 - drained later in 17th century. Site of mere could be (?) area of 1 acre shown on tithe map off Banham Road (on top of ridge, S of Beccles) where symmetrical rough ground (note road to NW named Castle Hill).
Pismere/Piswell Castle was a sub-manor of Beccles - in 1657 owned by Robert Yallop; circa 1800 owned by Robert Sparrow (annexed to Worlingham Manor)(S2), then to Archibald 2nd Earl of Gosford (by marriage).
Other dates recorded in Suffolk Record Office (Lowestoft)?
Check Copinger and other record office documents.
Formerly recorded as BCC MISC
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:37AM