Monument record IPS 944 - Bixley Heath, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 19 43 (779m by 748m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1962: Handaxe (thick, rolled ovate) found in 1962 by T Rivett at Bixley Heath. A large housing estate now covers this heath (S1).
1964, Saxo norman lamp found with pottery and glass, (S2)
Wymer (S3) places the handaxe find at TM205445, this is away from the area marked Bixley Heath.
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. Pg 213.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 964-79.
- <S3> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22768.
- FSF34204: HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF34888: LAMP (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF34889: POTTERY (IPS: Early Late Saxon to Medieval - 850 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF34890: POTTERY (Unknown date)
- FSF34892: VESSEL (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2020 11:14AM