Monument record MRM 140 - World War II defences on the Swale (Mod)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (6)
- PILLBOX (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- RADAR BEACON? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- BUILDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- TRENCH (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- GRAFFITI (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
A Level 2 survey of World War II structures on land known as The Swale was carried out in advance of proposed residential development on land adjacent to Adastral Park, Martlesham, Ipswich. The structures recorded comprise a Type-22 and Type-23 Pillbox, a Heated room, a Lewis gun-emplacement, a HFDF (High Frequency Direction Finder) Tower in an octagonal curtain wall, a Hut and two shafts. Most, if not all, are structures built for the 'Defence of Britain' from 1940 onwards. Together these buildings are a good example of a range of defence structures used in conjunction, there is also survival of camouflage paint on the type 23 pillbox and the contemporary graffiti in the type 22 pillbox (S1, S2, S3).
- <S1> SSF50348 Unpublished document: Muldowney, M.. 2008. Building Recording Report, World War II defences on the Swale, Brightwell Heath, Ipswich MRM 140.
- <S2> SSF54333 Unpublished document: Sommers, M. 2008. Historic Building Record, Adastral Park, Martlesham.
- <S3> SSF54334 Unpublished document: Brooks, R. 2012. Martlesham Heath WWII structures, Martlesham, MRM 140.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 5 2012 9:53AM