Monument record RLM 009 - Round Barrow SE of Ash Lodge; Cottage Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3424 5447 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||RENDLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Round Barrow & ditch 330m SE of Ash Lodge and 800m NE of Rendlesham Hall Farm.
1972: Round barrow, 5ft 6ins high, with ditch 3ft deep and total diameterof 25 yards (S1)(S2).
Barrow. Central robbing trench, possibly C19? On E edge of Cottage Wood (deciduous). Mound height 1.2m, diameter 21m SW-NE, 17m NW-SE. Ditch width 4.5m, depth 0.6m (S3).
Round barrow 5-6ft high with a ditch 2-3ft deep around. It is in fair condition though there are signs of an old excavation trench, perhaps in the last century. It stands under trees in the corner of Cottage Wood. Almost certainly an isolated BA burial mound (S3).
1977: Covered with trees & bracken, diameter 21m x 17m, height 1.38m-1.8m. Ditch 4.5m wide, 0.63m-0.9m deep, with large depression in centre (S5).
1981: Barrow covered in nettles, unable to see old excavation trench. Ditch just visible. No longer tree covered (S3).
1983: Round barrow circa 2m high, 25m diameter. Ditch of about 50-100cms deep only visible on N, on S obscured by fill from old excavation trench(S3).
1991: Barrow on edge of woodland, trees growing on it. Clearance work taking place (storm damage) in wood. Tree trunks being stored adjacent to barrow (S4). Further details in (S3).
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 32, 1972, (3), 287.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <M2> SSF43181 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Rendlesham Bronze Age, 1972.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S5> SSF19381 (No record type): SAU, Martin E A, Suffolk Barrow Survey Catalogue, 1979.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2010 12:17PM