Farmstead record RGL 020 - Farmstead: Nine Elms Farm/Orchard Barn
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0193 5339 (88m by 99m)|
|Civil Parish||RINGSHALL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Redundant timber-framed and weatherboarded barn originally of the late 17th C. a cattle yard was added to its W elevation in the mid-19th C and a 20th C lean-to shelter adjoins its rear wall and S gable. The 17th C roof structure was replaced though its original wall structure remains largely in tact. Despite the loss of the roof structure, the barn is sufficiently complete to merit listing at Grade II, particularly given the unusual surviving of its original tie-beam braces (S1).
Nine Elms Farm/Orchard Barn, Ringshall. 17th century farmstead and farmhouse. Dispersed multi-yardl plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S1-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF50710 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2007. Archaeological Record: Orchard Barn, Ringshall, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59945 Map: 1838. Ringshall Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2021 4:37PM