Monument record HNN 033 - Honington Airfield; Gibbet Covert
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 883 753 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FAKENHAM MAGNA, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||HONINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Basil Brown retained a newspaper cutting from the East Anglian Daily Times dated 15th August 1936 which details the find of a skeleton in a gibbet cage during the making of the aerodrome at Honington/Fakenham Magna. They quote W G Clarke's book In Breckland Wilds where details are given of the execution and gibbetting of John Nichols in 1793 for murder (R1).
The skeleton was thought to have been that of John Nichols. W G Clarke also mentioned in his book that the area where the gibbet stood was known as "Gibbet Covert". Site destroyed by aerodrome. Fields adjoining to N named Gibbet cover (112), Gibbet Close (114), and Gibbet cover break (3) in Great Fakenham tithe (S3). Also marked as Gibbet Cover on Honington Tithe map (though in Fakenham Magna parish) at TL 882753.
For details of `The Nichols Murder' & photograph of the Cage see (S2).
- <R1> SSF3716 (No record type): Clarke, W G, "In Breckland Wilds", 1926.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVIII, 27.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Honington)(S2).
- <S2> SSF7222 (No record type): Halliday R, `The Nichols Murder', Suffolk & Norfolk Life, Sept 1997, 34- 35, ill.
- <S3> SSF7088 Map: 1839. Fakenham Magna Tithe Map. Great Fakenham and Honington, Tithe Maps, 1839.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2018 2:02PM