Monument record SNT 001 - Stanton Chare; Stanton Chair (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 955 743 (360m by 522m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Whilst excavating the Roman villa, Basil Brown found a curious shaped handled cup and a clay ring or loom weight in August 1938. After finding portions of 2 bowls and 7 jars, a strike-a-light, a dress pin of iron that had possibly had a silvered head, 2 bone awls, a bone toggle and a bone thread picker (pin-beater), Basil made an entry on his OS map:- "Further evidence confirms conclusions of Anglo-Saxon occupation near villa." (S1).
In September 1938, two furnaces were excavated and an extensive layer of iron slag and Brown assumed that iron-making had taken place here (Rooms 8 and 9 on the site plan) and Balkwill comes to the same conclusion (S1) (S2).
1980: A pair of wrist clasps, a lipped stud and another bronze object were found metal detecting on the villa field by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(S3).
Also IA & Rom (S4).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 226, XCVII, 13, map 18, card index 355.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map, card index.
- <M2> SSF46696 (No record type): Excavation archive: Balkwill C, excavation report, Ms.
- <S2> SSF981 (No record type): Balkwill C, Roman Villa at Stanton Chair, unpublished.
- <S3> SSF18234 (No record type): SAU Plouviez J, SMR card.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: drawing, letter NAU.
- <M4> SSF46698 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M5> SSF46699 (No record type): AP: (S5).
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/40/17, July 1997.
- FSF23037: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF23038: LOOMWEIGHT (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF23039: PIN (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF23040: AWL (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF23041: TOGGLE (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF23042: STRIKE A LIGHT (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF23043: (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF23044: SLEEVE CLASP (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by IPSMG (Brown B) (Ref: IPSMG (Brown B)) (ESF15949)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13893)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13686)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13323)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2021 6:38PM