Monument record BUT 008 - Six acres; Church Fields (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3696 5006 (210m by 122m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BUTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Anglo Saxon pottery, hearths, traces of long rectangular building. Pottery spoon (S1).
Basil Brown records pottery scatters and a Sax pottery spoon was found here by the agent, Mr Hammond, now at IPSMG (S1).
Stanley West Ms, 1954, records Sax pottery found at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) and (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), he does not mention the long rectangular building, which is possibly the remains of Med brick kiln noted by Brown (CRN 02623). `Site consists of a record of some six `black patches' on the Church Fields. The pottery from these comprises `fragments of thick clumsy vessels', plain with sagging bases. Hard & heavy and entirely hand-made and `not kiln fired'. `Sagged bases have been pared and trimmed off with the aid of a sharp knife'. `Spoon' of same fabric (S2).
Information re rectangular building recorded in PSIA but gives no particulars as to date or function (S3).
(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)
For further Sax pottery scatter to S, see BUT 003.
May 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
It was not possible to positively identify any of the features described above from the available aerial photographs, however, there is a possibility that archaeological cropmarks are visible witihin the same field on one set of photographs (S4). Since the cropmarks were so indistinct and fragmentary they have not been mapped, however.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 6th May2015.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XIII, 48-50; map 122.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume, map.
- <S2> SSF23022 (No record type): West S E, The Archaeology of the Butley Region, Ms, 1954, 19-20, map, fig 24.5 & fig 25.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S2).
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, (2), 208.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RS 4098-4099 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2015 4:13PM