Farmstead record WYB 076 - Farmstead: Oak Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2260 7973 (70m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||WEYBREAD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
16th C grade II listed farmhouse and a 16th C barn. The timber-framed farmhouse which is encased in brick and has a tiled roof was originally a 3 bay dwelling. During the 20th the house was converted into a pair of cottages. A fire in 2009resulted in extensive loss of the historic fabric of this structure, although much of the 16th C frame survived.
The timber-framed barn which sits on a brick plinth is likely to have been constructed in the 16th C at the same time as the house. It was originally a 4 bay threshing barn, however sometime after 1885 the structure was reduced in size. During the 19th C a number of lean to were also added. The majority of the purlin roof survives intact although some areas have been repaired using re-used timbers. The barn itself is in need of repair (S1).
Oak Farm, Weybread. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard L-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54474 Unpublished document: Nicholas Jacob Architects. 2012. Oak Farm Cottages, Weybread: Heritage Statement.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <s4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF60044 Map: 1839. Weybread Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2021 3:55PM