Monument record RMS 001 - C13 midden, with section of small cooking pot, oyster shells. (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3065 4204 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||RAMSHOLT, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1974-1975: C13 midden, with section of small cooking pot, oyster shells, found 100 yards S of church (S1)
1970s(?): 9 Med sherds collected by Gwen Dyke from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(S7).
Scatter Med pottery over field to S and W including a small amount of St Neots ware (S2).
1980/81: Scatter of EMed pottery found during fieldwalking survey. Also PMed pottery (S3).
1985-1986: Metal detected finds by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) include Edmund halfpenny, forgery of gold coin, buckles.
Circa 1986: Further C12-C14 pottery and two concentrations of oystershells and bone found in field (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). Details in (S4). Note also quantities of PMed pottery and clay pipe fragments (S4).
1992: Further metal detected finds include lace tag (LMed/PMed);cylindrical barrel padlock(?) in form of dog or horse; a buckle plate and silver coins of Edward (?) and Elizabeth I (S6).
Also Neo flints, Rom, MSax, LSax pottery.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1965-94, 1965.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2)(S3)(S4)(S6).
- <S2> SSF6394 (No record type): Ferguson H, 1974-1975.
- <S3> SSF19572 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, fieldwalking survey distribution map, 1980/81.
- <S4> SSF1413 (No record type): Bower M, summary of fieldwalking results, 1987, map.
- <S5> SSF4981 (No record type): Damant R, 1991.
- <S6> SSF4927 (No record type): Damant R & Blow J, per SAU (JN), finds ID record, March 1992, drawings.
- <S7> SSF5438 (No record type): Dyke G, finds label/s, undated.
- FSF20047: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF20048: POTTERY ST NEOTS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 14th century - 850 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- FSF20049: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 14th century - 1000 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF20050: COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF20051: COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF20052: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF20053: PADLOCK (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2009 12:28PM