Monument record FSF 002 - Ufford Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 272 745 (116m by 119m)|
|Civil Parish||FRESSINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat - two sides only. Occupied, isolated, on parish boundary (S1). 1991: Probably not moat - two separate linear ponds & linking ditch to S of Ufford Hall (C16? timber framed hall). Earthworks noted in field to W & formerly in field to N (now ploughed)(S2).
House consists of a much altered Med open hall, floored over and raised in height in the C16/C17. Parlour and service wings were added at either end at about the same time, together with a small stair wing adjacent to the parlour and a porch on the N side (now removed)(S4). The Ufford family held a manor here, as of the Abbot of Bury's manor of Chippenhall, in the C12/C13 (S5) - their ownership is commemorated in the name. Property belonged to the Sancroft family by 1565. William Sancroft, Archibishop of Canterbury, d.1693, belonged to this family (S6). William Sancroft built a new house within the grounds of Ufford Hall (where his brother lived) in1691-3 - location unknown.
- <S1> SSF18621 (No record type): SAU, AP CEK 24.
- <M1> SSF41107 (No record type): AP: CEK 24.
- <S2> SSF19075 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, field report, FSF 002, September 1991.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM27SE1.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Barnard M, SIA excursion notes, 38, 1993, 112.
- <S5> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, Manors of Suffolk IV, 1909, 34f.
- <S6> SSF6123 (No record type): Evans N, SIA Excursion notes, 1992.
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 6 2021 9:06AM