Monument record FEX 069 - Martello Tower R; Bartlet Hospital
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 310 347 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
"Martello Tower R (site of). Formerly on the crest of a cliff at Felixstowe and had a moat. Demolished earlier this century' (S1)(S2)(R1)(R2).
1848 Tithe shows battery in front of tower and enclosure.
A modern 1:1200 plan shows part of circular structure and circular outer wall still standing within hospital complex (S3).
1994: Site visit by R D Carr demonstrated survival of base of Martello as element of Bartlet Hospital (S4).
2011: Detailed heritage statement and building survey (S5).
- <S1> SSF12421 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map (1st ed), 1838.
- <R1> SSF12439 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, 3rd series, sheet 99, 1907.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3 - map).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM33SW2, 1977.
- <S3> SSF21727 (No record type): Suff Coastal DC, planning application C.93/0060, January 1993.
- <S4> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Carr R D, SCCAS, Martello Tower File, ms + sketch, 1994.
- <S5> SSF54416 Unpublished document: Lawson Planning Partnership Ltd. 2011. Heritage Statement, Former Bartlet Convalescent Home, Felixstowe.
- <S6> SSF60065 Bibliographic reference: Sutcliffe, S. 1972. Martello towers.
- <S7> SSF54491 Unpublished document: Millward J. 2007. An Assessment of the East Coast Martello Towers.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2021 12:54PM