Monument record THB 014 - Theberton Park; Former deer park

Please read our .

Summary

Deer park first recorded in 1522, later reduces in size as shown on 1st edition OS map surrounding Theberton Hall.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 427 659 (1821m by 1605m)
Map sheet TM46NW
Civil Parish THEBERTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Deer park first recorded in 1522 (S1). Approximate extent mapped based on Hodskinson's 1783 Map and 1st edition OS, the road and field boundaries appear to stay the same throughout the 18th century to 21st century mapping. Theberton park is not marked on Hodskinsons, however it is marked on 1st edition OS map but the extent of the park has reduced in size to only surround Theberton Hall and does not extend below Pretty Road (S2)(S3). "Dovehouse Farm" is marked on modern mapping.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
  • <S2> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783.
  • <S3> Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 31 2018 4:49PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.