Monument record WLG 024 - Sicklesmere Gravel Pit, Sicklesmere, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 876 605 (247m by 171m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT WHELNETHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
19th Century: Former large gravel pit to west 'of the high road' produced a mammoth tusk and bones of rhinoceros, horse, deer and bison. Bones at '18ft from surface'(S1,S2).
Rolled items mentioned by Wymer suggested to have come from here. Including a chopping tool, a crude pointed handaxe, a crude scraper and a levallois flake (S1, S2).
Rhino tooth mentioned in 1858, (S3).
The finds from WLL 008, WLG 024, and WLG 042, do not have definite provenance. They have been assigned on the basis of discussion by Wymer (S2). Any discussion of Palaeolithic finds from Sicklesmere should consider all of these sites/records, (S4).
It should be noted that the "flat butted cordate" claimed by Wyner (S2), has been seen. It does not really qualify as being of this form and is unlikely to be of Late Middle Palaeolithic age, (S4, S5).
- <S1> SSF58183 Finds Report: Pendleton, C.. 2008. Sicklesmere Gravel Pit, Great Whelnetham.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 140-142.
- <S3> SSF56169 Article in serial: 1863. Proceedings at the Meetings of the Institute..
- <S4> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S5> SSF56333 Unpublished document: Cutler, Hannah. 2013. Understanding Late Middle Palaeolithic Neandertal Landscape-use during Short-Term Occupations in Britain.
- FSF46261: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC? to 9700 BC?)
- FSF46262: POINTED HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC to 298000 BC)
- FSF46263: CHOPPER (Lower Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF51288: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC? to 9700 BC?)
- FSF51289: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC? to 9700 BC?)
- FSF51290: CORDATE HANDAXE? (Acheulean - 531000 BC to 298000 BC)
- FSF51291: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Lower Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF51292: LEVALLOIS FLAKE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC? to 178000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2020 10:33AM