Monument record LRM 005 - Letheringham Mill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 27986 58139 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LETHERINGHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Church and churchyard, site of, said to lie in the meadow opposite Letheringham Mill. Mentioned in will of 1378 and still standing in 1631, probably demolished in late C17 (S1)(S2), burials found in C19 (R2) and 1963 (at TM 2798 5815)(S3).
Site visit and excavation 1987 to part clean and record 4 inhumations uncovered by the collapse of a tree in the 'Great Wind' of October 1987. No grave goods, E-W orientation, further circumstantial evidence of the existence of a churchyard and church.
- <R1> SSF23195 (No record type): Wilkes L R, St Mary's Church Guide, 1973.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM25NE20,.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: excavation report, drawing.
- <R2> SSF23119 (No record type): White's Directory, circa 1844.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 33, 1974, 168.
- <S3> SSF15295 (No record type): Owles E, PSIA, 29, 1963, 351.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2021 1:54PM