Monument record CLO 003 - Anglo Saxon pit in the field behind the church, containing over 100 pieces of Thetford ware, cow and pig bones. (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2239 5272 (42m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||CLOPTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pit, 16 feet across, 2 feet 3ins deep, in field behind church, containing over 100 pieces of Thetford ware, including 1 waster, cow and pig bones. Found during drainage works (S1)(S2).
Thetford ware sherds found on surface in this vicinity and further concentrations at CLO 009, 010, 011 (S3).
See also Rom.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM25SW11.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: field report, map (1986).
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1971-172, 1971.
- <S3> SSF11850 (No record type): Newman J, SAU, 1986.
- <S4> SSF60081 Article in serial: 1972. Md Arch 16 1972 162.
- <S5> SSF60082 Bibliographic reference: CBA. 1971. CBA Gp 7 Bull 18 1971 13-14.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2021 2:06PM