Monument record BFD 001 - `Oliver's Ditches', Moat (and BACKLOG)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 266 539 (96m by 110m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||BREDFIELD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat, isolated, unoccupied, close to parish boundary. Ploughed, known as "Oliver's ditches".
Pottery scatter C11-C14, Thetford type rim.
Bronze mirror-case found on the surface of the filled-in moat ditch at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(S1). The hinged box contains a black laminated substance that could be wax or glue. The exterior faces of the circular box are decorated with punched dots.
For similar mirror-cases see (S2) and Coddenham 17 & 22.
Med & Pmed material found metal detecting includes coins of Edward I? and Edward III?, a gilded harness pendant, seal matrix + SIGILLIOhDe - VERCV, buckles etc (S3).
See also Misc Un.
A ploughed down homestead moat, sub-rectangular in shape, measuring overall c 95.0m N-S by c 80.0m E-W, and bounded by a dry ditch, 1.0m maximum depth and spread to a width of c 22.0m wide. The interior is raised c 1.0m above surrounding ground level. There is no evidence of an inner rampart or an entrance. The ditches to the SE (published as moat by OS) have been filled in. An exploratory excavation by Arnott (a) in 1955 revealed a rubbish pit containing oyster shells and pottery, the latter dated by Ipswich Museum to the 11th-12th C.
- <S1> SSF1223 (No record type): Birch M, 1988.
- <R1> SSF18362 (No record type): SAU, AP ADD 2, 3.
- <M1> SSF38548 (No record type): APs: ADD 2, 3.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM25SE1.
- <S2> SSF50034 Bibliographic reference: Antiquaries Journal. Antiq J, 64, 1984, 399-402.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: drawing, finds reports, site report.
- <S3> SSF4926 (No record type): Damant R & Blow J, per SAU (Ipswich), 1987.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 26-NOV-73.
- FSF9026: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF9027: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?) + Sci.Date
- FSF9028: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD? to 1100 AD?) + Sci.Date
- FSF9029: MIRROR (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF9030: COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF9031: SEAL (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF9032: HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 22 2022 9:17AM