Monument record SUT 006 - Group of round barrows, Sutton Hoo; Sutton Mounts; Tumulus A; Mound 3
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2881 4867 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
'Mound 3' - 85 feet in diameter and 5-7 feet high 1964 (S1); 85 feet (26m) diameter, 6 feet 6 inches (2m) high 1975 (S2).
Excavated by Basil Brown in 1938. Contained the remains of a large wooden tray, 5 feet 6 inches long by 22 inches wide, at either end of which was a deposit of cremated bone (human and horse). Also fragments of a limestone plaque, decorated bone fragments, a bronze lid, an iron axe and pottery sherds (S2).
Basil Brown refers to this site as Tumulus A, having lettered rather than numbered the mounds. Details of excavation and finds are to be found in the Basil Brown archive (S3).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NE2.3.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <R1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1939-148.
- <S2> SSF2433 (No record type): Bruce Mitford R, The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, 1, 1975.
- <M2> SSF37303 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, VII, 3; LI, 27,28; LXIV, 50-60,70,71; XCVI, 163,206; card 366.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S5> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrand RH, AP, 148.1, 15 July 1976.
- <S6> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 36 (1) 1985 p52, PSIAH 36(2) 1986 p155.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 8 2018 11:39AM