Monument record PFM 001 - Warren Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 200 424 (101m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||PURDIS FARM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ipswich ware - two rim sherds (same pot) with incised decoration on shoulder. Found in spoil heap of World War II trenches on Heath (R2).
Extensive trial trenching in advance of large superstore development revealed a few ditches of unknown date and much World War 2 disturbance.
Watching brief during construction in October 1984 also negative.
Suggests that either grid reference not correct or it represents material dumped from Ipswich. Location well onto heath, lacks natural water supply (S1)(R1).
- <S1> SSF19769 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, Site report, 1984.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1983, PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 328.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report.
- <R2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 965-39, 1965.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW25.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2021 2:02PM