Monument record HCH 004 - Chapel Pightle (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 313 585 (160m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||HACHESTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Chapel Pightle field name (S1). "Chapel in the manor of Wikkelows, called Rouses. Prayers offered for the souls of Sir Antony Boteller and Dame Katherine his wife - IPO (Probate Office, Ipswich) AD 1464" (S2). "A visitor to Hacheston in 1795 ... "the chapel once stood on Chapel Hills but no ruins visible".
Confirmed in possession of Hickling Priory in 1209 (granted in 1204), as Hacheston, All Saints Church and a chapel. (S7)
Human bones found in 1958, 35 feet from road hedge line, due E and in line with church (TM 3130 5858). Several fragmentary and disordered skeletons, (human), probably reburied, as long bones of both limbs were found in "bundles" - skulls indicated young people - probably a C17 plague pit (or reburial from churchyard)." Excavated by N Smedley and H E P Spencer (S3). Human bones reported in 1980, adjacent to road line hedge at TM 3132 5856. Trial excavation of a small area (approx 3.5 sqm) revealed the remains of about five individuals at a depth of about 20 to 25cm. They had been buried extended on their backs, heads to the W. Skeletons damaged by ploughing and a recent pipe-trench (S4)
Surface finds of human bone over an area of about 1500 sqm in the NW corner of the field. Medieval pottery, mainly early Med, found over most of the field (S5).
Also MSax, LSax pottery.
- <R1> SSF22930 (No record type): Wells C, Norwich and its Regions, 1961, 85.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : excavation record.
- <S1> SSF56624 Map: 1839. Hacheston Tithe Map. Tithe Map, Hacheston.
- <M2> SSF36618 (No record type): Sutton Hoo Survey file : fieldwork report.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 12, 1904, 79, Redstone V B, Chapels Chantries & Gilds in Suffolk.
- <M3> SSF36619 (No record type): Photographs: slides of excavation, 1980.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1958.
- <S4> SSF19386 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, excavation records 1980.
- <S5> SSF19567 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, fieldwalking report, 1984.
- <S6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card, TM35NW11, 1977.
- <S7> SSF11484 (No record type): Morley C, Med Hist of Suff, unpublished Ms in Ipswich Record Office.
- <S8> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, PSIA, 28, 1958, (1), 91.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2021 2:19PM