Monument record WBG 009 - Shire Hall, Market Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2707 4915 (24m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||WOODBRIDGE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Shire Hall. Given by Thos Seckford and built, it is said, circa 1575. Red brick, originally had open ground floor - the arches and windows are clearly C19.
"Mr Scarfe thought bulk of present structure - that part of English - bond, redbrick two storeyed building formed by freestone quoins - was brickwork of Seckford's day; clearly contemporary with his arms in stone work over first floor west entrance - doorway. Filled in round-headed arches in north and south walls indicated ground floor Elizabethan open market. Flamboyant curved gables, more elegant Flemish-bonded brickwork band round top of top storey and splendid double stairway at east front looked like work of circa 1700: no documentary evidence known." (S3) (precis).
A brick building of two stories, the lower originally being open. Founded circa 1575 by Sir Thomas Seckford, a local benefactor, perhaps reconstructed in C17th and much altered 1803. Brickwork flemish bond throughout and style advanced. At either end is a door to each floor with external stairs to upper floor; ornamental features are original. On the sides blind arches with circular depressions above alternate with windows. Present roof and courtroom occupying upper floor date from 1803 but most of outer walling is circa 1680 (S4).
1991: Said to be maintained. Listed Grade I. Used by Town Council and Suffolk Horse Society. Recently re-decorated (S5).
1996: De-scheduled (S4).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NE36.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1849, (3), 410.
- <S3> SSF6210 (No record type): Excursions 1983, PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 331.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S5> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S6> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. August 2010.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 9 2010 3:59PM