Monument record MRM 001 - Martlesham Airfield
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2406 4595 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow (site of). Recordedand excavated (partially?) by Ipswich Scientific Society in 1905 (R1), and as being planted with fir trees in 1925 (R2).
Also said to have been disturbed by military works.
Removed in 1942 under the supervision of Maynard & Spencer of Ipswich Museum (R1).
Mound was of low bowl shape, rather less than 100 feet in diameter and may have been about 5 feet in height. No primary burial found. Two unaccompanied deposits of cremated bone were found in the SE part of the mound (R3)(R4). Sherds of finger-printed beaker also found (R5). No clear evidence of a ditch.
1935: Large bowl barrow covered with conifers, no visible ditch - Norwich Castle Museum (mention of a photograph).
Marked on OS 1:10560 map.For more information on beaker see (S1).
- <R1> SSF11004 (No record type): Maynard, G. & Spencer, H.E.P.. Maynard G & Spencer H E P, Report on the removal of a tumulus on Martlesham Heath, 1942, Proc Suff I.
- <M1> SSF45270 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <S1> SSF6833 (No record type): Gibson A M, Beaker Domestic Sites BAR 107 (i), 1982, 200.
- <R2> SSF21486 (No record type): Spencer H E P, letter in Archaeol Newsletter 3, 1950-1951, 7.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1942-46.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NW9 and TM24NE5.
- <S4> SSF3552 (No record type): Clarke D L, Beaker Pottery of G B & Ire, 1970, 498.
- <S5> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 2 1997 12:00AM