Ipswich UAD child record record IPS 1173 - Oven 0761
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1631 4445 (3m by 2m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
An oven (0761) had been built into the south side of the eastern angle buttress in the south-east corner of the range. It consisted of an entrance from the south through a 40cm wide neck, rebated on its outer surface to accommodate a door. The neck expanded into a chamber, sub-circular in plan, and measuring some 80cm in diameter. The base of the structure was covered with flat slabs of sarcen stone and the walls were built of septaria, lined with iron rich clay.
To the west, there were traces of a further sub-circular structure which had been removed by the robbing of the east wall by robbing trench 0754.
The Ogilby map clearly shows a building had been added to the south east corner of the range during this period, all traces of which would have been outside of the excavation area. The oven (0761) would have been accessed from this building, (S1).
- <S1> SSF55986 Unpublished document: Wade, K. 2014. Ipswich Archive Site Summaries: St. Stephen's Lane..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 10 2017 11:22AM