Ipswich UAD child record record IPS 1331 - Carmelite Friary Great House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1628 4447 (9m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The only evidence of structures to the west of the west range was the remnant of a septaria wall (3548), 32cm wide, with no associated floor surfaces, located in the western section of Cowell's basement after demolition. This may relate to the Great House, which was probably the only building west of the church. Redstone states that the church faced the Great House, behind which the priory gardens stretched to the west gate of the priory in Queen Street (Redstone 1969, 78). This Great House was presumably the guest house which received Henry VI on his visit in 1452 and, being at the far western end of their site, could well have been their first construction on the site, providing accommodation prior to the building of the church and other friary buildings, to the east, (S1).
- <S1> SSF55986 Unpublished document: Wade, K. 2014. Ipswich Archive Site Summaries: St. Stephen's Lane..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 25 2017 10:42AM