Monument record BCB 017 - Ballingdon Chapel; (Chapel of Brothers of St Thomas the Martyr?)

Please read our .


Site of Ballingdon Chapel C12, sited (very approx?) according to (S1), documentary search as part of (S6) casts doubt on dedication of the chapel, see details.


Grid reference Not recorded
Map sheet Not recorded


No mapped location recorded.

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

`Site of Ballingdon Chapel C12', sited (very approx?) according to (S1). Chapel of Belidune (Ballingdon) of Eli de Sumery, purchased in 1120 together with All Saints Church, Sudbury (SUY 035) by Adam the Monk, cellarer of the Abbey of St Albans (S2).
`Dutch prisoners confined in the church, 1675' (S4). Barker states that `During the first Dutch ware... the Church was converted into a prison, and stated to have been "ruinated" by the prisoners', but he confuses `the church' with All Saints, Sudbury (S2). It may be that `the church' was demolished shortly after the 1675 `ruination'?
A chapel or church is symbolised on Saxton's 1575 map of Suffolk at `Bullington' in same approximate location (S3).
At Ballingdon there was a chapel of the Brothers of St Thomas the Martyr (S4)(S5) - ?rededicated to St Thomas in later C12. see also (S6)
(S6) documentary search casts doubt on the dedication of the chapel, suggesting that the chapel dedicated to St Thomas the Marty located at 'Sidolves Mere' is infact located at Sicklesmere , not here.

(For two water-mills (elsewhere described as being under one roof) probably at Hun mills (afterwards the paper mill) on Cranfield Farm (Long Melford?) as listed in the chartulary of Abbot John de Norwold in 1287 (ibid 233)).

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
  • <S1> (No record type): Freeman E, Sudbury's Story: `A Thousand Years in the History of a small English Town', 8-9, map.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 339.
  • <S3> (No record type): Saxon C, map, SVFFOLCIAE, 1575.
  • <S4> (No record type): Redstone V B, PSIA, 23, 1937, 51.
  • <S5> (No record type): Parker Sir W, The History of Long Melford, 1873, 237.
  • <S6> Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2005. Archaeological evaluation report. Snells Garge, Ballingdon Hill, Sudbury.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 24 2017 4:39PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.