Monument record ELV 108 - Possible former Second World War huts and air raid shelters
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (3)
January 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Several groups of possible Second World War huts and air raid shelters are visible on the aerial photographs (S1-S2) along the edges of fields and plantations close to Chalk Hall Farm and Warren Wood – the site of a Second World War bomb storage area for Lakenheath Airfield (ELV 106). The aerial photograph evidence is not conclusive in all the areas indicated, as it is hard to certain whether the structures are Second World War or agricultural. However air raid shelters can be detected within the group to the southwest (S2), indicating that at least some of the groups relate to military activity. Although these may relate to civil air raid protection for Chalk Hall Farm itself.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 24th January 2018.
January 2020. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The extent of area centred at TL 8011 7910 has been extended south to incorporate further possible Second World War structures and a possible Second World War embanked pit as seen on S3. As discussed above the features most likely relate to Second World war buildings and possibly training features.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st January 2020.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/906 RP 3015-3016 09-SEP-1945 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1801 RS 4175-4176 25-OCT-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/LA/129 FS 2073-2074 14-FEB-1945 (HEA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2020 8:35AM