Monument record BGL 017 - Site of an Anglo Saxon barrow containing a scatter of artefacts including a bead and a bracelet.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2366 4503 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||BRIGHTWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Barrow (site of) - one of group of 5 - between BGL 015 and BGL 014. See also BGL 014-6 & 018 & FXL 016; also see FXL 015).
1919: Excavated by Ipswich & District Field Club in May. Approximately 17 feet in diameter, 3 feet high. Found to contain a bronze bowl containing cremated bones, a bone comb with iron rivets, two ornamental bone discs, a portion of ivory bracelet, two glass beads (S2), potsherds, two flint scrapers and burnt clay. Ascribed to Anglo Saxon period. No 3 on 1921 plan (R1).
1962: 'F' - no trace of this barrow (S1).
- <M1> SSF37634 (No record type): Photographs: BFL 5, 14, 15.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NW25F.
- <R1> SSF9991 (No record type): J Ipswich & District Field Club, 6, 1921, 1-14.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1920-20.
- <R2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- FSF6946: CAULDRON (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF6947: BOWL (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF6948: COMB (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF6949: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF6950: BRACELET (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF6951: BEAD (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF6952: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF6953: WORKED OBJECT (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 30 2017 1:54PM